Billy and I didn’t know if we were having a boy or girl, we wanted to keep it a surprise which meant creating a nursery that would suit either gender. The walls in our home were already gray and I chose cream as the additional color so I could add accents and change it up whenever I wanted to. I have traveled extensively and had textiles from Peru and Belize so I knew there needed to be an eclectic / boho/ aztec vibe. Hence the theme “Boho Aztec”!
I started with one concept, a point of inspiration… a teepee! The idea of a teepee in the nursery felt fun as well as spiritual and whimsical. When Liv is a little older she has a built in ‘fort’ already in her space for playing, reading or even napping with her puppy, Tank.
The crib, dresser, rug and glider are from popular brands, for everything else I tried to use local artists and friends.The amazing, reversible pillows, pom pom curtains, as well as the bunting banners and fringe garland are from one of my dear friends who runs the adorable shop Lil Lee’s .I was able to source the teepee locally as well, its from The Polka Dot Fox . I got some cheap frames and filled them with paintings from my mom.
I shared my inspiration with my bestie who reached out to one of her friends and sourced me an original, hand crafted dream catcher! She actually went out and found the wood and dried it, as well as sourced the feathers and other components from her surroundings – can you say awesome?
Tips for your nursery or any space you are designing:
- Start with one or two inspirational pieces and work from there
- Don’t be afraid to mix/match colors and patterns
- Try to bring in different heights, textures and colors to create a lot of dimension
- Look around you! Do you have blankets or trinkets from your travels that will add to the space or perhaps be your inspirational piece?
- Think of a neutral base that allows for change without a lot of cost (gray walls and cream furniture allow for affordable decor changes with the toss of a pillow!)
- Have any creatives around you? They may not even be in the business but they can add to your nursery with paintings or crafts!
The space turned out beautifully, it feels zen, magical and I love that Liv is surrounded by locally sourced items made with love. Check out the project nursery link below for additional shopping sources.
I look forward to seeing pictures of your inspired spaces! Use the hashtag #theboholifestyle or tag me on Instagram @erinlaraine
Love and light,